The benefits of a school dog – Introducing Buddy!
The benefits of having a school dog are well documented and we are very excited to introduce you to a special member of our community.
Buddy is an English Springer Spaniel. He has been trained by a specialist trainer and been selected due to his calm temperament and gentle nature.
What are the benefits of having a school dog?
Evidence indicates that the benefits include:
- Cognitive – companionship with a dog stimulates memory, problem-solving and game-playing.
- Social – a dog provides a positive mutual topic for discussion, encourages responsibility, wellbeing and focused interaction with others.
- Emotional – a school dog improves self-esteem, acceptance from others and lifts mood, often provoking laughter and fun. Dogs can also teach compassion and respect for other living things as well as relieving anxiety.
- Physical – interaction with a furry friend reduces blood pressure, provides tactile stimulation, assists with pain management, gives motivation to move, walk and stimulates the senses.
- Environmental – a dog in a school increases the sense of a family environment and community, with all of the above benefits continuing long after the school day is over.
Read more about how we support mental health here.
A dog in a school increases the sense of a family environment and community.